Official blog of Undernet IRC channel #AAR focusing on Air America and its shows.
AAR Streams

Thursday, March 20, 2008

   By PoliticalGeek at 10:22 PM

JOHN MCCAIN U.S. Senator (R-Arizona) It's a game of pinball, and you're the ball.

The hardest thing to do is to establish priorities. This morning we had a committee meeting on telecommunications. Now, I'm for à la carte cable. I don't see why some widow from Sun City should have to pay for ESPN if she doesn't want to. At the same time, I had to bounce over to the Armed Services Committee--we're involved with what I think is a scandal with a C-130 cargo airplane. Then I just met with Chamber of Commerce President Tom Donahue, who worked with me on immigration. Later I'm going to meet with a group of people on lobbying reform. And then I'll be meeting with a Congressman who wants me to help him out on something. The key is deciding what are the most important issues to focus on. Priorities come from the constituents, and a lot of it is instinct by now. I've been in this business a long time.

I read my e-mails, but I don't write any. I'm a Neanderthal--I don't even type. I do have rudimentary capabilities to call up some websites, like the New York Times online, that sort of stuff. No laptop. No PalmPilot. I prefer my schedule on notecards, which I keep in my jacket pocket. But my wife has enormous capability. Whenever I want something I ask her to do it. She's just a wizard. She even does my boarding passes--people can do that now. When we go to the movies, she gets the tickets ahead of time. It's incredible.

My most valuable resource is my chief of staff and writing partner, Mark Salter. We've been together for 17 years. I cannot imagine my professional life without him. When we're writing a book or speech, he'll come in to the office in the afternoon or evening with a tape recorder. We talk about the outline, then the details of it, then get into the minutiae. He writes most of it, and then we go over it together.

It's the perfect partnership, with him doing most of the work. He's a remarkable man. I gave a speech on the floor of the Senate to wrap up the debate on the torture amendment. It was the only time when there was total silence on the floor of the Senate. We wrote that together.

I rely on staff to take care of things that I know they can, usually back in Arizona. We've got very talented, experienced people who take care of constituent issues. People don't care if I personally get involved, or if I put somebody who is a hell of a lot smarter than I am on it. But if something is important for me to pay attention to, like immigration issues, which have grown for us since 9/11--I focus on it.

We decide on a case-by-case basis about whether to do the Sunday shows, if it would have some value to get my viewpoint or knowledge out there. I'm going to do Jon Stewart again, and The Colbert Report. That's good stuff, an interesting audience for me.

You lose battles in politics. I do get good and angry. Really angry! By God, I'm not going to let them beat me again. I don't like to lose. After the 2000 race for the presidential nomination, I spent at least ten days--and in many ways it was the most wonderful experience of my life--wallowing in self-pity. It was really fun. Freeing. Then I just woke up and said it was time to get over this. The people you represent don't want you this way. You're still their Senator. And besides, America doesn't like sore losers. I also don't hold grudges. It's a waste of time. What's the point? Frankly, the sweetest revenge is success. -- Interviewed by Ellen McGirt

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2006/03/20/8371781/index.htm

4 Comments:

Blogger adrian2514 said...

Hey thanks for the great blog, I love this stuff. I don’t usually read much into politics but with the election coming up (not to mention the dem primaries) and everyone going green these days I thought I would leave a comment.

I am trying to find more about the government and if they are going to ratify the Kyoto Protocol any time soon. Has anyone seen this pole on EarthLab.com http://www.earthlab.com/life.aspx ? It said 75% of people think the government should ratify the Kyoto Protocol on Earth Day (when I took it). I also saw something on Wikipedia but it wasn’t up to date. Any other thoughts on where the government is going with this?

I am looking for more info on what candidates’ opinions are and how are we are going to get closer to solutions. Drop a link if you see anything worth my time.

5:49 PM  
Blogger adrian2514 said...

I'm back with more questions. I don’t usually do much for Earth Day but with everyone going green these days, I thought I’d try to do my part.

I am trying to find easy, simple things I can do to help stop global warming (I don’t plan on buying a hybrid). Has anyone seen that EarthLab.com is promoting their Earth Day (month) challenge, with the goal to get 1 million people to take their carbon footprint test in April?... I took the test, it was easy and only took me about 2 minutes and I am planning on lowering my score with some of their tips.

I am looking for more easy fun stuff to do. If you know of any other sites worth my time let me know.

5:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

激情免費視訊聊天室激情網愛視訊聊天室限激情網愛視訊聊天付費視訊聊天室交友網免費視訊聊天亞洲辣妹妹影音視訊聊天室亞洲視訊聊天室亞太電信電話視訊聊天中部成人視訊聊天室中部免費視訊聊天室中部免費視訊聊天中部視訊聊天室聊天室中部視訊聊天室一葉情視訊聊天室多人視訊聊天室視訊聊天0410免費視訊聊天網0410 免費視訊聊天網視訊聊天是破解視訊聊天uouo視訊聊天交友uouo 視訊聊天交友有視訊聊天室影音免費視訊聊天室免費視訊聊天交友ut 視訊聊天室破解視訊聊天室173視訊聊天080視訊聊天s38視訊聊天avdd金瓶梅視訊聊天免費視訊聊天網視訊聊天視訊聊天室免費視訊聊天影音視訊聊天視訊聊天網免費視訊聊天室ut視訊聊天ut視訊聊天室免費線上成人遊戲線上成人論壇免費線上成人動畫人獸性愛影go2av免費go2av免費影a女優自拍自慰s520 網愛聊天
msn網愛聊天室
msn 視訊網愛
ut 網愛聊天室免費
ut 網愛聊天
s520 網愛聊天室
ut網愛
成人色情動畫
色情介紹
3d卡通色情片
最色情影片

7:04 AM  
Blogger Scott Huminski said...

U.S.A. State Sponsored Terror (rock music video) Released

Anti U.S. Police State Musician/activist releases his 5th rock video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXbojImKNlI

Television interview at:

http://www.youtube.com/user/RTAmerica#p/u/1/2KxmgZRUOnU

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Blog Post Archives
August 2004 | September 2004 | October 2004 | November 2004 | December 2004 | January 2005 | February 2005 | March 2005 | April 2005 | May 2005 | June 2005 | July 2005 | August 2005 | October 2005 | November 2005 | December 2005 | January 2006 | February 2006 | April 2006 | June 2006 | July 2006 | August 2006 | September 2006 | November 2007 | March 2008 |
Powered by Blogger       Site Meter Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com